Friday, April 8, 2011

How do I properly shutdown my computer?

In my first post, I explained how restarting your computer will resolve most computer issues you come across.  In this post, I will explain how to properly shutdown your computer.  Many users think it is okay to just unplug the computer from the wall. Others push the power button to turn the computer off. Both of these can damage the configuration, the data, or the hardware of the computer. 

There are many variances to powering down a computer, depending upon your system and settings; should the following instructions not match your computer, please contact me for assistance:

For Windows 7, click on Start, then click Shutdown.  On some Windows 7 computers, you must click Start, then click on the arrow to the right of shutdown, then click Shutdown.

For Windows Vista, click on Start, then click Shutdown.  On some Windows Vista computers, you must click Start, then click on the arrow to the right of lock symbol, then click Shutdown.

For Windows XP, Click on Start, click on Turn Off Computer (or Shut Down), then click Turn Off (or Shutdown) again.

Should you have any questions, contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment